Career Services, Macon Campus
Job Search Assistance
Do you know what you want to do, or what you can do?
If not, you should meet with a Career Services staff person to guide you through the following questions:
- what skills, qualities and characteristics do you have to offer?
- what kind of work setting would be best for you?
- what types of jobs can you get with your degree?
- do you need to go to graduate school right after graduation?
Do you know where to look for jobs?
- how to access all the jobs and internships available to Mercer students
- how to find jobs on the internet that are appropriate for your interests, degree and experience
- how to network with people (including alumni)
Do you have the following tools?
- a relevant and professional-looking resume appropriate for college graduates?
- a well-designed cover letter?
If not, there are some guidelines for starting a resume on this website. HOWEVER, you should always have someone look it over to check for any errors or anything that might be missing. A Career Services staff person can help you with this.
Are you ready for interviews?
- Do you know what questions to anticipate in a job interview and how to prepare for them?
- Do you know what questions are appropriate for you to ask in an interview?
- Do you know what’s appropriate to wear to an interview?
- Do you know how to prepare for a phone interview?
- Do you know how to follow up after an interview?
If not, a Career Services staff person can coach you through some mock interview situations to prepare you and increase your confidence.
The job search process can be intimidating because you don’t know where or how to start. It takes some time and patience to come up with answers to some of the questions asked earlier. The Career Services staff is ready to work with you to get the process started and come up with a plan.
What if I've decided to go to grad school instead? Can Career Services help?
Career Services can help with the following:
- How to locate grad programs by discipline and/or location
- How to write a personal statement
- How to prepare for interviews
- How to modify a resume for graduate school
Call the Office of Career Services to set up an appointment with a staff person.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5:00 p.m. (478) 301-2863